1 month+ before you move:
- Schedule your move date and block off time on your calendar for your move.
- Research and hire a moving company, moving trucks and/or ask friends to help with your move.
- Gather/purchase moving supplies. If you are using a professional moving company, check to see what materials they will provide.
- Begin packing items that won't be needed until after the move.
- Find a new school, daycare and/or babysitter for your kids.
- Obtain copies of school, medical, vet, legal and other various records.
- Notify subscription & prescription suppliers of address change
- Find new doctors for the family.
- Find a new vet
2 weeks before your move:
- TV/Phone/Internet - Contact Optimum at 1-877-810-6780 to transfer your services or become a new Optimum subscriber.
- Optimum TV
- Optimum Voice
- Optimum Online
- Call your utility companies to notify them of your move. If you are moving locally, set up the transfer of your service.
- Security System
- File your change of address with the US Post Office.
- Notify the following of your new address:
- Credit Card Companies
- Insurance Companies
- Cellular Phone Company
- Magazine & Newspaper Subscriptions
- Family and Friends
- Sign up for renters/home owners insurance.
- Finish home repairs.
- Have a garage sale.
- Map the nearest grocery store and hardware store to your new home.
1 week before your move:
- Confirm your scheduled move with the moving company and/or truck rental company.
- Keep a list of phone numbers for contacts that will be helping you with your move.
- Finalize any documentation with your new home and pick up your keys.
- Sign up for a landscaper and lawn care services.
- Finish packing.
- Plan or order meals for your move day.
During your move:
- Conduct one last check to ensure nothing has been left behind.
- Clean the vacated space.
- Ensure lights, heat and/or air conditioning has been turned off.
- Ensure all items have been closed with your former residence (drop off keys, ensure you receive your security deposit, etc.)
After the move:
- Go to the DMV to update your drivers license and car registration.
- Order a security system.
- Recycle your moving boxes.